In 1854, Trueworthy and Thomas Jewell migrated west from New Hampshire to St. Croix County. Recognizing the opportunities the area offered, the enterprising brothers purchased 700 acres along the beautiful Apple River. Within four years they had built not only their homesteads, but a sawmill and gristmill as well. As other pioneer families arrived, they named their growing community Jewelltown. The name changed to Star Prairie in the late 1800s, Major Edmond Otis, son-in-law of Trueworthy Jewell, observed one evening, while traveling home from Foster’s Crossing (now New Richmond), “how beautiful the stars are tonight over the prairie.” Star Prairie was officially named a Village on July 28, 1900.